Let’s face it, everyone thinks about ending their life at some point or another. Life feels like it’s unbearable at times and it’s more than we can take so we turn to suicide. However, suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problems. Suicide is simply not the answer. You can overcome these feelings and live an amazing life experiencing all the things you want to or wish to accomplish. Only YOU have the power to choose when your story ends. So, put down that razor/knife, put down that gun, dump those pills in the toilet, untie that rope, get down from that ledge/bridge, and dump that bottle of bleach…realize you have a purpose in this life and that life is amazingly beautiful. Now, since at some point we end up feeling suicide, here are some things you can do to distract yourself from the urge to kill yourself.
1. Get a piece of paper and write down all the names of people who love and care about you–people who would miss you if you killed yourself.
2. Listen to music. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT listen to songs about suicide. Those songs will only cause you to fall further into wanting to kill yourself. Instead, listen to happy and uplifting music. Or listen to songs that make you want to get up and dance.
3. Curl up in your bed with a book. Just like the music though, don’t read books about suicide. They will only help continue the suicidal feelings. Read books about more positive things instead.
4. Take a nice hot bath or shower. This will help relax you and hopefully will get your mind off wanting to kill yourself. Make sure there are no sharp objects in the shower/tub with you though.
5. Go for a walk/run to clear your head. Try to avoid walking/running near things like bridges or anything you might be able to jump off. Taking a walk/run will help you think more clearly and get your mind off things. Take in the scenery and really look at what you’d be missing out on if you ended your life.
6. Write a poem. Whatever is going on in your head. Write a poem on suicide if you want, as long as you don’t go act it out. Just write about it. Get it all out on paper.
7. If you want to kill yourself because people have hurt you, like for example, if you’ve been bullied… Write a letter to all those people who have been mean to you or hurt you. Don’t send it though, rip it up or burn it after you get done writing it.
8. Call up a friend and ask them to go somewhere with you (mall, restaurant, etc.) Have fun with a friend to get your mind off of whatever if causing your suicidal feelings. Maybe while you’re out with that friend, if you trust them, maybe talk to them and tell them how you’re feeling. They might be able to help you.
9. Call a Suicide Hotline. There are numerous suicide prevention hotlines out there. They will speak to you and help you figure things out. Call 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) US Only.
10. Talk to a counselor, pastor, teacher, or parent about your feelings. They can help you with your suicidal feelings.
There are people who love you, and want to see you get better. People would care if you died. Suicide is not the answer, it’s simply a permanent solution to a temporary problem. No matter how bad your situation is, how alone you might feel, or how unfixable you think things are, you are never alone and there’s help available. No one can help you though if you don’t reach out. It’s okay to ask for help!
One last thing: IT GETS BETTER. 🙂